Connect with us

NEWS

We Lost Over N10m Staff Allowances To Fraudsters – JAMB

Published

on

JAMB
Spread the love

Registrar, Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof Ishaq Oloyede, Wednesday said a dozen of fraudsters gained access into an intranet site of the board, altered profiles of its ad-hoc staff and diverted over N10m meant for their allowances.

Oloyede, who stated this during the parade of the scammers in Bwari, Abuja, said the board uncovered the fraud after a careful investigation which led to the arrest of one Sahabi Zubairu from Takum in Taraba State, and several others.

He noted that government policy requires that monies meant for ad hoc staff are paid directly into the accounts of the beneficiaries; a situation which, he said, gave room for the challenge the board was facing.

He, however, decried the failure of the accounting department to detect the fraud by cross-checking the names on the accounts to ensure that they tallied with those listed on the website or owners of the codes.

He clarified that the site was not for application to become JAMB ad hoc staff, but for JAMB ad hoc staff to supply their account details and names for payment of their allowances.

Meanwhile, 10 of the scammers admitted to the crime and said they were lured into it by Zubairu.

Check Out The Story Of A Girl That Was Also Scammed 

She said she came down to JAMB Computer Based Test (CBT) centre to address the challenge, only to be hijacked by a fraudster at one of the cyber cafes opposite the facility.

“He asked me what I wanted to do and I told him I wanted to create an email address to complete my admission process and he collected my phone to assist.

“I didn’t know that he diverted the mail and password from my phone to himself. All information was then intercepted by him.

“He then called me first to ask me to send N1000 airtime before he would send the information while claiming to be a staff of JAMB.

 “He later asked for N2000 and then N3000 to release the mail and password and threatened to deal with me if I refuse to cooperate.’’

Ms Adegoke said she couldn’t take it anymore and decided to come to JAMB headquarters to report and make her complaint known.

Moses Peter, who owned the cyber café, claimed not to be aware of the act he claimed was committed by one David Ahmed of Auchi polytechnic.

He said he employed boys at random to go out and look for customers but was not aware of their fraudulent activities.

All suspects apprehended by the board have been handed over to security personnel for further investigations.


Spread the love
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

EFCC seizes N241m, property diverted by official in Buhari SSA’s office

Published

on

Spread the love

The Financial and Monetary Crimes Fee (EFCC) in Lagos has secured the interim forfeiture of N241million traced to an official within the presidency.

The EFCC additionally bought court docket permission to grab a property at Plot No. 1121, Ekukinam Avenue in Utako District, Cadastral Zone, Abuja.

The suspect, Abdulsalam Bawa, works within the Account Division within the workplace of Senior Particular Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Sustainable Improvement Targets (SDG), Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, a former Deputy Governor of Lagos State.

The EFCC stated the funds and property had been fairly suspected to be the proceeds of Bawa’s illegal actions.

On Friday, Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Federal Excessive Courtroom, Lagos Judicial Division, authorized the forfeiture following an ex-parte software filed by the fee.

EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo acknowledged that the cash and property was diverted from the Federal Authorities.

Oyedepo prayed for an order directing the publication of the interim forfeiture in a nationwide newspaper.

Anybody is anticipated to indicate trigger, inside 14 days, why ultimate forfeiture shouldn’t be made in favour of the Nigerian authorities.

Justice Oweibo granted all of the reliefs sought by the EFCC and ordered the interim forfeiture of the N241million and property.

The choose adjourned the matter till September 6 for ultimate forfeiture listening to.


Spread the love
Continue Reading

NEWS

Family of Ijebu Imam found dead suspects foul play, awaits autopsy report

Published

on

Spread the love

The household of the late Imam of Atiba in Ijebu, Ogun State, Mushafau Bakare have referred to as for an intensive probe.

The cleric was discovered lifeless in his automobile on Wednesday, 24 hours he was declared lacking.

In a chat with DAILY POST on the weekend, a niece, who pleaded anonymity, mentioned they think foul play.

Public Relations Officer, Ogun Police Command, Abimbola Oyeyemi had defined that the deceased was not killed as speculated.

He recalled how operatives from the Obalende division, on patrol, noticed a Highlander jeep parked by the roadside.

The spokesman mentioned whereas on their approach again, the automobile was nonetheless on the identical spot.

“This made them to verify. They found that the person was useless within the automobile. There was no signal of violence in his physique.

“We learnt that the person was hypertensive. It’s potential that he had disaster because of his well being challenges”, Oyeyemi mentioned.

However the household supply disclosed that the household is ready for the result of an post-mortem performed on the hospital Bakare was taken to.

“We’re nonetheless not satisfied that Alhaji died of naturally. He left Atiba to satisfy with some folks in Ijebu Ode and was imagined to return the identical day.

“He didn’t get there, his physique and automobile have been discovered at Ikangba. Certainly one of his aides had advised occurring the journey with him however he mentioned there was no want.

“We have now a sense that one thing past the atypical occurred. We’re in contact with the Police as we await the post-mortem report which can decide our subsequent motion,” the household supply mentioned.

The niece confirmed that the late Bakare (about 60 years outdated) was buried on Thursday in keeping with Islamic rites.


Spread the love
Continue Reading

NEWS

Bandits Kill Eight Farmers In Fresh Attacks On Southern Kaduna

Published

on

Spread the love

At the very least eight farmers have been killed in Buruku and Udaw‎a villages of Chikun Native Authorities Space of Kaduna State.

 

The victims, it was gathered, have been attacked whereas engaged on their farmland, Day by day Belief stories.


Each Buruku and Udawa are situated alongside Kaduna-Birnin Gwari freeway and have been beneath bandits’ invasion.

A resident of the realm and a neighborhood chief, Muhammed Umar, confirmed the assaults on Saturday.

“5 farmers have been killed in Buruku whereas three have been killed in Udawa. We’re uninterested in burying our males every day. We’d like assist,” he stated.


Spread the love
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Heading